"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for all of Paris is a moveable feast." -Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

update

As Amara pointed out to me, I haven't really updated this week. And that's because there really hasn't been much to update on, since we started our preliminary classes (French review, basically), which last from 9:30 to 1 every day for the next two weeks. I've been insanely tired as a result, and still trying to get over this cold that I got right before I even left for Paris, but all's been well. Our hostlady (I still don't know what to call her...Beatrice for now I guess) has made us two dinners so far, and our third one is tonight. Every one has been spectacular, and she feeds us every course (complete with a cheese course, of course) so I basically have to eat one giant meal the whole week as a result, and not really eat much the other days. With having to speak every day in French for a few hours, I've been getting less rusty and less embarrassed with my French, but it's not like turning on a switch, as I had surely hoped.

Even though I still sometimes feel like I'm crazy for choosing a homestay (which is stupid, because it's only because I'm one of two people in my level who chose one...everyone else in a homestay is a level higher in French), I'm still really glad I did. Every afternoon there are tons of kids running around (they can't all be her grandkids...she must be running a daycare or something) and some day soon (I think by the end of next week) I'm going to get up the courage to go and hang out with the little kids in the living room...it's just awkward because it's not like once I get home I have any reason to go by that part of the house...so it's bad and nice having a wing (I don't know how else to describe it, but saying a wing sounds like the house is giant) of the house to ourselves. Plus she does our laundry. And gives us afternoon snacks if we're home.

But after hearing of people complain of taking the metro to class every day, I'm so incredibly glad I'm only a ten minute walk away. It's both good and bad though, because I feel like everyone is going to get to know Passy (the neighborhood in the 16th, where campus is) automatically because of classes, but then they'll get to really know the neighborhood where they live. Whereas I'm going to get to really know Passy...and will have to work harder to get to know the other arrondissements. But how do I describe Passy? The only thing that really works is describing it as the Upper East Side of Paris. It's really ritzy, full of older women walking around in fur coats (and I mean practically everyone has one), more residential than full of cafes or bars. But it's nice, and pretty, and quiet.

Tomorrow night I'm going to the opera (!!)...for free...yep this is my life.

P.S.--by the way, I totally lied when I said the Eiffel Tower was in the 16th, not that you probably care. Like the Empire State Building, you can pretty much see it from wherever in Paris (kind of), so I just assumed it was in the 16th. Saw it on Sunday, though, right up front. Amazing, as usual. I'll put pictures up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment