"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for all of Paris is a moveable feast." -Ernest Hemingway

Saturday, January 9, 2010

only two days left

So I'm supposed to be packing right now, but I've been looking at my friend's abroad blogs since a few of them have already left, and I wanted to start this preliminary post. I'm not really sure what to say in this post, since I'm still in the U.S. and nothing amazing has happened yet. But I guess I should explain about my program? Maybe? Well. I'm going to be flying to Paris this Monday night, with a brief stop in Heathrow, but I should be in the land of the French by 11:30 their time Tuesday morning. I tried coordinating my flight with NYU's group flight so I can mooch off of their free shuttle from the airport, instead of paying a whole 60 euro for a taxi. But I guess we'll be staying in a hostel for a few days/a week all together, and then we'll find out about our housing assignments and move in there. So that's right. I have no idea where I'll be living, or who will be there with me, but hopefully it will be in a homestay. An apartment would be cool since it turned out so great in Florence, but I want to try and get outside the "NYU bubble" that happens at every one of their study abroad sites.

For those of you that don't know, I'm studying at the NYU program in Paris, so with other NYU students, and we'll be taking classes at the little "campus" with only our program. We can choose to take them in either French or English, but we don't really choose our classes until we get there. I haven't really thought about it too much, but I'd like to try and take at least one class in French. We'll see though. I'm not too confident in my French-speaking abilities, but I feel like if I just got over that I could do it. And then we have the option of taking classes at the University of Paris, in either French or English, so if all goes according to plan/this romanticized view I have, I'll hopefully take a class in English with French students there. But we don't actually start classes until February 1st because we have this two week "intensive french workshop" or something like that, worth 2 credits, which apparently is really stupid. But it might be a nice refresher. So I'm hoping to be able to explore Paris a lot during that time. Maybe meet a French boyfriend then. Haha. I kid...

So yeah, that's pretty much the program! I feel kind of stupid writing in this blog, but I really like the idea. It just feels a little "Dear Diary"-esque. But we'll see. Maybe when I actually have something to say I'll feel better about it. But I'll try and keep it up, it's a nice way to keep in touch with people I guess.

*Here are two videos to leave you with. One, with Joey learning French on Friends. And then, of course, Eddie Izzard on learning French...I just had to put that there.






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting the Friends video. That is by far one of my favorite TV moments. My brother and I still "speak French" that way. Well, at least he does. It's pretty hysterical.

    ReplyDelete